Thursday, December 29, 2016

He is not alone




This sweet young man is my son. I rescued him two weeks ago from the bondage of a Ukrainian orphanage. 
After the Revolution and gain of independence many soldiers came home with missing limbs and other disabilities. Leaders decided that seeing such people would bring sadness to the already weeping country. So they locked them away in institutions. 

It became the norm to not see such people in the public. 

A child born with a disability is often considered by society as a curse.  
So it is the norm for those children to never come home from the hospital. 
Or doctors have been known to give parents contact info so they can have their organs harvested. 
In the black market. 
In return the family will gain a small amount of cash. 

Children left behind will be in an baby house OR orphanage until age 5. 
At age 5 they are then transferred. 

To an adult MENTAL institution, often for disabilities only physical. 

85% of these children will die within the first year of transfer. 

What happens to the remaining 15%?
They hang on and wait. 

1.For Family. 
2.For LOVE. 
3.For Death. 

Generally #3 

BUT SOMETIMES THERE IS HOPE. 

Organizations such as Maya's hope provides caretakers and medical interventions to orphanages in Ukraine that will ALLOW it. 

Most think the kids are better left to die. 
Remember they are a curse. 
They are considered a vegetable. 

I found my son through Maya's hope. 

He was 1 of 4 special needs orphans that I brought to America yesterday. 

Meet Daniel. 



He will be 16 in two weeks and he would have became unavailable for adoption due to his age. 
I am so lucky to have found him in time. 

When I first met him he weighed 22lbs at almost 16. 

He was so drugged he was choking on his tongue and had no idea I exist. But I knew he existed. I saw Daniel. I saw my son. 

We took Daniel to the hospital right away when we landed so that we could address the very serious situation of Refeeding syndrome. His labs were VERY BAD but not as bad as I would expect from a child in such dyer situation.  Looking at him you would not believe he has survived such a life. But the truth is he has been in this nightmare almost his entire life. He adapted and this is his norm. He has non working shunts in locations that are not ideal. But we recently found out  they are causing no real threat and it would be more of a risk to remove them so they will remain. 
His hemoglobin was only 3 which low is considered 14. So he required an immediate blood transfusion. Of all his labs only his electrolytes were in normal range. Although all labs were severely  under normal range they expected them to be much much worse due to his visual state. No child in America would survive such low numbers. He on paper is barely alive compared to normal standards but this has became his norm and he has adapted to survive. He has been in this condition for many years. He did very well receiving the new blood and it brought his hemoglobin up to a still low 4.4 but it is good progress and his color is already starting to emerge. That is one positive step on a long path of recovery. 
He has gained a couple pounds already in our care. We have had him two weeks already but in Ukraine. If you have ever wondered what it would be like for a 5 year old child to be placed in an adult mental institution in a dark cold room starved, and  left to die..... look no more, I found him and it is very sad. But I couldn't continue knowing and do nothing. We brought him home and call him son. 


HE IS NOT ALONE IN THIS STATE OF DISASTER. 

The smell, sights, sounds and realization that MOST will never escape this state has left my heart shattered and it will forever haunt me. Most will not have a second chance like Daniel. We can't always expect others to do the right thing but you always can do the right thing even if it is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. You must be the change you wish to see or you can't expect change. Casting stones only builds walls. Walls only further hide the pain it doesn't erase it. I wanted to be so mad about the people who did this but If it stopped at being mad then I might as well be letting it happen too. Our boy is tough, he has survived. He is loved and love makes us stronger and I can't wait to share all the progress he will have in his future.


As I stated above there are others. Others who need you like Daniel needed me. If  you would like to know more on how to adopt one of these children please visit the Reece's Rainbow web site. There are many Special needs orphans listed from all over the world. All longing for the care and treatment they deserve. 
If your heart is lead specifically to children in Ukraine in the condition as my son Daniel I can give you more iformation but please contact me privately Here. We can be the change the world needs to see and you can make a difference in a life that is hanging on by the thinnest of threads. Every child deserves a family. Every child deserves love. 

Love
Makes
Us 
Stronger!






19 comments:

  1. They are beautiful-as are the hearts of their new family!:) They are so very blessed to call you "Mother." My prayers are with you -all !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found him! I have to say though, do not fool yourself. The "baby houses" ARE institutions. Just because it has a different name in Ukraine does not make it NOT an institution. I wish someone would shut these places down. Four of my kids came from institutions in Serbia (and they don't try to sugar coat them by calling them something different. They call them institutions.) One came from an institution in Ukraine. ALL came in horrible condition. I'm so thankful God lead you to Danial, so that he me know what it means to LIVE and not just exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the misspelling of Daniel. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Thank you for what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. blessings and prayers for you all~ Immanuel~ God is with you

    ReplyDelete
  6. DreamCatcher, You are an inspiration. My heart is also called to take care of these precious children... I don't know where to begin or how to convince my family that this is really our path. I am so glad I found your blog and look forward to following your journey. I send angels, love and light to surround you and yours always. Blessings to you. Trisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for someone to adopt a young boy that my family is unable to adopt, and due to recently being accepted into a University, cannot adopt either. He will be left to die in a mental facility if he is not adopted by this July (His 15th birthday- the age to age out of the system). He has Down Syndrome, has been neglected and abused, is malnourished, is very small, and is dying unless he gets help. Despite his challenges, he is loving, like a baby and would be easier than some other kids that are in his same situation to adopt. I have emailed hundreds of churches, organizations, etc. with no responses. He can be found at http://reecesrainbow.org/97043/jayce

      Delete
    2. Dear Kaitlin, please pray for our family as we discern adopting Jayce. We've been praying for him for over a month and just found this post here. Please know that we are thinking of him.

      Delete
  7. I wish you all the luck in the world.I can't believe that Daniel is still alive, it's a miracle that you got him just in time, angels are watching over you all. God Bless you and your very special family.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you all the luck in the world.I can't believe that Daniel is still alive, it's a miracle that you got him just in time, angels are watching over you all. God Bless you and your very special family.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sutherland, sometimes a good way to begin is prayer and advocacy. Invite your family to pray for specific children you feel drawn towards. Www.reecesrainbow.com or the Reeces Rainbow Facebook group is a wonderful group that specializes in adoption, advocacy and fundraising. But also support and information for those questioning where their path may be leading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you guys found each other... God thank you. I too like others above have adopted 10 from overseas found through Reece's Rainbow. 3 also in this condition. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These stories always tug at my heart. Sadly, here in Australia we cannot bring these children here. Our own daughter, who was born here, was rejected for Permanent Residency initially because she has Down Syndrome, and we, her parents, are from New Zealand. So that gives you an idea what they think of those with special needs in this country. I am glad you have this option in America. Yours is one of the few countries that does, so please, if you can, join this fight to save these vulnerable children. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I have no words. This is beautiful.

      Delete
    2. It always breaks my heart heavily when I am reminded of those countries who do not allow special needs adoption. Just remember there are other pieces to the puzzle and without them(you) I wouldn't of been able to bring home Daniel. First I would of never saw him if it wasn't for charity's or missionaries willing to make trips to the orphanages and tell the world about these children. Secondly those who offer families grants and support financially to be able to bring these children home(we could of never done this at without initialfinancial help) Those people who share these stories such as mine are often the reason someone is moved to adopt. I had no idea this was happening until someone shared this awful realization. I had no idea they existed until I saw their pictures. I had no idea I could come up with the ransom until people poured out support. It takes lots of pieces to make this a reality I am not alone. It takes a village. I am so thankful.

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for your kind and brave heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you give an update on precious Daniel? Thank you and God bless you for being the hands and feet of Jesus! :) James 1:27

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are looking to help another child is desperate need, Jayce http://reecesrainbow.org/97043/jayce needs to be adopted before July or he will be left to die at a mental institution in Ukraine. My family cannot adopt him, and due to recently being accepted into a university, I cannot either. He has Down syndrome, is extremely small, malnourished, and dying unless he gets help. Please if you can adopt him, do. If you cannot, please tell anyone you know who may want to adopt him. I have contacted hundreds of churches, organizations, etc. with no response. He is running out of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared him in my most recent blog post. I REALLY hope he finds a family very soon. He is such a deserving boy, I have noticed him many times and he always pulls at my heart strings.

      Delete